Thursday, November 11, 2010

When We Don't Believe

When We Don't Believe is actually a song I wrote two days ago that just came together very quickly. It kind of came out of a "hello" moment I had after a conversation with my mom.

My car broke down two days ago (the alternator died).  No big deal, except we don't really have the finances for any extras right now.  And of course, having a vehicle to get people where they need to be is pretty necessary.  I want to say right here though that my husband works his tail off to provide for us and he always has.  And I was feeling particularly upset about it not just because the car broke down but because I was actually feeling bad for Tim.  He works so darn hard, and it just seemed to me like every time we get to a place where "ooh, maybe we can finally swim instead of tread water", something happens to one or both of our cars.  No joke.  And I'm sure we are not alone in this, but I was having myself quite the pity party. 

So, I was talking to my mom about all this and she was reminding me that we are not the only people who go through these things, that that is life and I should be more grateful for all the things I did have.  And she's right.  I may not have a lot in terms of those little green pieces of paper that sometimes make me crazy, but I have a whole lot of riches in blessings and love from my heavenly Father.

Taking stock of my current situation, I had a lot more to be grateful for than I did to be upset about.  Yes, my alternator died, and no I have no idea how or when it will be replaced and I will get my car back.  However:
1.  I was able to pull into the parking lot of Mr. Mike's and park there instead of being stuck in the middle of the road or an intersection.
2.  The manager at Mr. Mike's allowed me to leave my car there until Tim got out of work and called AAA.
3.  My brother in law was working that day at Mr. Mike's, and he asked his boss if he could give me and Sarah a ride home.
4.  His boss said yes.
5.  He gave Sarah and I a ride home, and texted later to make sure we were okay (I was a blubbering idiot over the car at first).

Life isn't always what you make it.  Things will happen to upset your plans or rock your world.  But it's what we choose to focus on that makes all the difference.  Perspective can color any situation any color we choose.  And those little molehills that we've gotten right up close to and stared at can become small again if we are willing to back it up and look from a different angle.

"And I wonder what we're learning when we choose to gaze on what we see, and we don't believe."

6.  Mr. Mike's has a Dunkin Donuts, so I was even able to get an ice coffee in the middle of the mess.

1 comment:

  1. I know we all go through crap. You're. Going through some, as am I. I've been having a pity party for several days. I don't know what's. Gonna happen, but thank you for the encouragement. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete